rarescale's Summer School returns in 2016 in the beautiful venue of Harlaxton Manor, just outside Grantham in Lincolnshire.
Featuring courses for flute players (including the opportunity to specialise on alto or bass flute) and composers, this promises to be an inspiring week with new repertoire, collaborations and the opportunity to work towards individual goals in a relaxed and supportive atmosphere.
Tutors: Carla Rees
This course is aimed at undergraduate level performers and above, and is suitable for students, young professionals and advanced amateur players. Minimum standard ABRSM Grade 8.
Composition Taught Course: Electroacoustic and/or acoustic composition
- Learn the techniques of alto and bass flute playing, as well as piccolo and C flute
- Discussions on specific technical issues, including extended techniques
- Develop your performance skills
- Explore solo and ensemble repertoire for all members of the flute family
- Individual lessons, masterclasses and flute ensembles
- Opportunities for collaborations with composers and other flute players
- Introduction to playing music with electronics
- Opportunity to perform in an end of course concert
Tutor: Michael Oliva
Suitable for all standards, including those with no prior experience of EAM composition
Both courses are taught together, allowing composers the flexibility to choose their preferred pathway. To an extent, the course content will be tailor made to suit the needs of the participants, but areas which may be covered include:
- Group classes and individual tuition
- Compose a piece during the week and perform it in the final concert
- Potential to collaborate with flute players and other composers
- Learn the basics of Electroacoustic composition, or refine your skills
- Learn field recording techniques, software skills and develop your understanding of EAM compositional techniques
- Learn techniques of synthesis, sampling and real-time computer transformations in the context of creating new work
- Explore current approaches to working with computer sound and the performance of electroacoustic music
- Collecting and working with environmental sound
- Developing and writing your own interactive performance software with Max/MSP
- Composers should bring a laptop running a standard sequencer programme (e.g. Cubase, Logic or Performer), headphones and any other items required for their compositional activity.
- Develop your skills in composition, including aspects of structure, instrumentation, harmonic language etc
- Opportunity to develop specific knowledge of writing for solo flute and/or flute ensemble (including extended techniques) in collaboration with performers
- Opportunity to explore the basics of electroacoustic composition (optional)
- Composers should bring a laptop running Sibelius (preferred) or other music notation software, headphones and any other items required for their compositional activity.
The Composition Retreat offers experienced composers the opportunity to work in the wonderful surroundings of Harlaxton Manor, with support from rarescale course tutors, while maintaining the freedom to work on independent compositional projects.
- Open to composers of all disciplines
- Come and enjoy the wonderful surroundings of Harlaxton while working on independent compositional projects
- Consultations available with rarescale members Carla Rees and Michael Oliva
- Potential for collaborations with rarescale and participants of the flute course
The composition retreat also offers full flexibility to attend aspects of the taught courses for flutes and composers (space permitting)
Read about the 2015 course here
The course will feature a public concert by rarescale, in addition to a concert by course participants on the final evening.
Dates, Accommodation and Fees
Dates: Monday 1st August-Saturday 6th August (Arrive by 11am on Monday and depart on Saturday after breakfast)
Accommodation is in study bedrooms in the student-style accommodation at Harlaxton Manor. Rooms are allocated on a best available basis and course participants may be asked to share. A surcharge of £65 is payable for anyone wanting to guarantee a single room. All bathroom facilities are shared, and accommodation fees also include all meals. Additional accommodation may be available for the Sunday before the course starts at an additional cost – please ask. If you prefer to stay in one of the local hotels, a non-residential rate is also available.
Full Board Fees: £550 (£450 for students)
Single room guarantee £65
Non residents £350 (including lunch and dinner)
Non-refundable deposit due at time of booking: £250
The remainder of the fees are due by 30th June 2016. All fees are non-refundable after this date, except if the course is cancelled by rarescale.
Download the booking form here: BOOKING_FORM_rarescale_Summer_School_2016
For further information, please use the contact form.
Please note that places on all courses are limited, so early booking is advised.